Anesthetic-free dental cleaning for your pet is a safe and cost-effective option for preventive dental care. Pet dental care is vital to your dog or cat’s overall health and quality of life. Without preventive dental care, pets can experience tooth and bone loss, gum inflammation, infection and pain which may go unnoticed because they cannot tell us when something is wrong.
Good pet dental care is no different for our pets than it is for us: brush teeth daily and see a veterinary professional for exams and cleanings. One without the other does not guarantee a problem-free mouth. Excessive plaque on your dog’s teeth can lead to gum disease which, left untreated, can lead to infection and other serious health concerns.
Anesthetic-free dental cleaning is a cost-effective way to remove tartar and plaque from your pet’s teeth. Doylestown Veterinary Hospital offers this safe dental service through Pet Dental Services (PDS). The PDS technicians are highly trained in cleaning the teeth of dogs and cats without the use of anesthesia. They are also trained to recognize abnormalities that can lead to more serious concerns.
The PDS technicians:
- Gain the pet’s trust through gentle holding techniques, patience and a calm approach
- Provide orthopedic mats for the pet’s comfort and safety during the service
- Clean all surfaces of each tooth, including interior sides and along the gum line
- Use special tools to detect early periodontal disease
- Polish each tooth for a smooth, clean finish
- Work closely with the pet parent to discuss daily care and demonstrate technique
Pet Dental Services has been working with veterinary practices to provide dental cleanings without needing anesthetic for over 12 years. The service is performed at a veterinary practice and a veterinarian is present during the exam. The veterinarian can also provide the pet parent with a recommendation for additional care if dental health concerns are present.
If you are interested in a Pet Dental Services appointment at Doylestown Veterinary Hospital, call 215-345-6000 for more information.