Healthy Treats for Sharing with Your Dog
“Food is love.” We’ve all heard this saying and many of us live by it. We cook for our families. We cook for our friends. Food is a common uniting factor in all of our lives – something to bond over. Food brings us together. So, why shouldn’t we show our four-legged family members how much we love them by feeding them delicious food and treat
We may all think of food as “love,” but in the case of our pets, we have to manage their intake to ensure that they maintain a healthy weight and body condition.
Instead of giving your pet table scraps or an extra biscuit—or two, consider sharing these healthy treats with your dog. Sharing healthy foods that promote good nutrition and a healthy weight is a great way to love ourselves and our pets!
Healthy Human Foods to Share
- Apple (without seeds) & banana slices
- Baby carrots/carrot sticks
- Green beans
- Zucchini & cucumber slices
- Sweet potatoes & squash
- Lean meats & cooked salmon
- Plain rice or cooked pasta
If you love spending time in the kitchen, consider baking these doggone good muffins as a special morning treat—hold the coffee—for your dog.
Rachel Ray’s Springtime Muffins for Your Pet
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 2 bananas, mashed with a fork
- 1/4 cup peanut butter
- 3 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- Cooking spray
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees . In a bowl, whisk together the egg, honey, bananas and peanut butter. Stir in 3 cups water; whisk until smooth.
- In a separate bowl, stir together the flour, baking powder and cinnamon; add to the egg mixture.
- Spray two 12-cup muffin pans with cooking spray; fill each cup three quarters full. Bake until browned, about 30 minutes. Let cool.
For more ideas and pet-friendly recipes, consider these pet cookbooks:
- Better Food for Dogs: A Complete Cookbook and Nutrition Guide – David Bastin, Jennifer Ashton and Dr. Grant Nixon, DVM
- The Complete Holistic Dog Book: Home Health Care for Our Canine Companions – Celestial Arts Publ.
- How to Have a Healthier Dog – Wendell Zucker
- The Whole Pet Diet: Eight Weeks to Great Health for Dogs and Cats – Andi Brown