Keeping pets active throughout the year provides essential exercise. The activity keeps your pet’s mind sharp and the body fit. The benefits of being active include:
- Weight control
- Digestive health
- Restful sleep
- Being limber and agile
- Mental stimulation
- Positive behaviors
An active pet can also benefit your wallet. Prevention of diseases through proper exercise and nutrition could result in savings over the lifetime veterinary care of your pet.
Providing your dog or cat with appropriate levels of exercise and play doesn’t have to take a lot of time. Spending just a few active moments together every day is beneficial.
- Daily (leash) walks around the neighborhood or the park—even a quick walk is good!
- Pull toys work the muscles
- Fetch or chase added after a potty break is rewarding and fun
- Hide-N-Seek makes your dog work for treats
- Practice basic obedience skills
- Social play with other dogs at a daycare program or dog park on a nice day provides free play
- Participation in advanced training, agility or lure coursing, and competitive sports keeps the mind and body active.
Enrichment toys and activities are designed to challenge dogs to think, problem solve and stay active through brain games, challenging sensory work, and structured athletics and play. Many of these toys and activities can be done inside during inclement weather. Enrichment toys and activities include:
- Solving food puzzles with toys like KONG®, the Tricky Treat™ Ball, or the Twist ‘n Treat™ encourage problem-solving skills and patience
- Hunting for dinner includes dividing up a serving of dry kibble and hiding small amounts around the house. This is a great activity to promote a healthy weight and slow down a fast eater.
Cat toys and a tree with a scratching post keep kitty jumping and running, and even a box or window perch will encourage your cat to explore and provide enrichment
At A Pet Resort
There’s no reason your pet’s fun and exercise should stop while you’re on a winter vacation or spring break. Research from the pet industry has clearly demonstrated that the more activity and human interaction pets receive, the happier and healthier they are when away from home. Keeping pets active while staying at a pet resort will ensure your pet has a positive experience.
Next door at Holiday House Pet Resort & Training Center, activities for dogs and cats staying at the resort provide exercise, socialization, one-on-one time with the staff, pampering in the spa, and quality rest. Activities include:
- Playtime – ball throwing, rope tugging, Frisbee chasing, and other fun activities in our daycare program, a supervised small group setting, or one-on-one play
- Nature Walk – brisk walk exploring 50 acres of woods, streams, and fields
- Business Walk – leisurely pace for a potty break on the grass
Feline guests enjoy their own activities including exploring on the cat tree, laser tag, feather wands, and organic cat nip toys.
The dog daycare program is the perfect place for your dog to visit daily or weekly, and the program is available to lodging guests as well. Dog daycare offers a balance of socialization, exercise, enrichment and rest for keeping pets active and engaged.
Holiday House Pet Resort & Training Center wants every pet to have a positive experience. Customizable discounted activity packages make it easy for you to choose the right amount of activities and attention for your pet. Call 215-345-6960 to schedule your dog for a daycare introduction or to book a lodging suite and activities.