FAST FACTS: Benefits of Training
Did you know?
- Top reason for dogs to be abandoned or dropped at a shelter is behavioral problems that become overwhelming for an owner.
- If puppies receive early training and socialization, there is a better chance they will not be euthanized before the age of three.
- Obedience training teaches the dog verbal commands or hand signals that elicit a specific response such as down, sit and heel.
- Behavioral modification “modifies” unwanted behaviors from minor problems such as chewing, jumping or digging to more serious issues like aggressiveness, running away or excessive barking
- Biggest benefit of training to the owner: teaches the dog who is in charge.
- Biggest benefit of training to the dog: a happy relationship with its owner and family.
Talk with your veterinarian or doggie daycare teacher about a training program.
Reasons why owners seek training:
- Dogs with fear and aggression issues
- Backyard destruction
- Begging at the table
- Excessive barking
- Home manners and other unwanted behaviors like chewing
- Pulling on the leash
- House breaking
- Separation anxiety
Benefits of a well-trained dog:
- Saves the life of a dog
- Reduces family stress
- Reduces damage to your home and personal belongings
- Increases a sense of safety and security
- Creates a strong bond with the dog
- Reduces costs associated with owning a dog
- Improves overall quality of life in the home