Modern Medicine, Old-Fashioned Care
Improving the health and wellness of your pet is our mission.
- What should you feed your pet?
- What is myth and what is fact when it comes to determining the best diet for your dog or cat?
Doylestown Veterinary Hospital & Holistic Pet Care can answer these important questions!
Call (215) 345-6000 to set up a nutritional counseling session.
Proper nutrition through a lifetime provides many benefits to your cat or dog:
- A strong immune system
- Weight and disease management
- Good muscle tone
- Ease of digestion
- A healthy skin and coat
Nutritional needs change during your pet’s life due to growth and development, the aging process, and management of various medical conditions. The breed, size, energy level and environment of your pet are also factors in determining proper nutritional needs such as calorie intake and frequency of feeding.
The important thing to remember about your pet’s overall nutrition is to make sure your dog or cat gets the necessary basic nutrients. A good diet must contain the proper balance of proteins, fats, carbohydrates, vitamins and minerals for optimal health.
Here is a list of recommended reading if you are interested in learning more about pet nutrition:
- Natural Nutrition for Cats, Kymythy Schultze
- Lapping it Up: The Quick and Easy Guide to Making Healthy Cat Food at Home, Patricia O’Grady
- Feline Nutrition: Nutrition for the Optimum Health and Longevity of Your Cat, Lynn Curtis
- Unlocking the Canine Ancestral Diet, Steve Brown (A good guide for supplementing commercial foods)
- Fresh Foods and Ancient Wisdom: Preparing Healthy and Balanced Meals for your Dogs, Ihor Basko, DVM, CVA (includes a Traditional Chinese Medicine perspective)
- Better Food for Dogs: A Complete Cookbook and Nutrition Guide, David Bastin, Jennifer Ashton & Grant Nixon, DVM
- Raw and Natural Nutrition for Dogs: The Definitive Guide to Homemade Meals, Lew Olson, PhD
- Dr. Pitcairn’s Complete Guide to Natural Health for Dogs and Cats, Richard Pitcairn DVM, PhD, and Susan Pitcairn (A very good, comprehensive book that covers more than just nutrition)
For more information, take a look at the following blog articles on Nutrition: